fraidy's haven

Sunday, December 17, 2006

falalala.......oh screw it

I'm not Scrooge or the Grinch, it's just that Christmas doesn't excite me much. It hasn't for quite a few years now. Even when my parents were still around, I didn't care much for the family get-together. Not that I don't love my family, we just aren't the close knit type. We all live within 20 miles of each other,yet we might get together every other year and we keep in touch mostly through e-mails, which is good enough for all of us. I think when you grow up in a house with 5 kids, you spend enough time together.
The other aspect of my lack of holiday cheer is twofold. One, I never really could afford to give Christmas gifts, and I'm not the crafty type to make them myself...so I feel embarrassed when I am on the giving end. Secondly, after growing poinsettias since July and working every Christmas since 1994, to me it has just become another work day (albeit-a well paid work day)
And even though I care little about it all, I still went out and bought my coworkers and our lone volunteer a little gift. I still have to figure out what to get the old man. So here is a brief description of each person and what I got them..

Tyrone- 22 year old African-Anerican male...
I love this guy! I find it hard to believe he's only 22. He is very responsible,curious about plants, and I can trust him to take proper care of the crops if Tracy or myself aren't there. This kid is a natural. I know he loves The Simpsons,one episode in particular...but I couldn't afford 40 bucks for the dvd set. A few weeks ago he asked what was the best album by Heart, since he was interested in their music. Talk about throwing me for a loop! I don't tend to stereotype people, but a 22 year old black male asking about a band I listened to in the 70's and 80's threw me way off base. So for Christmas "Mr. T." is receiving "Hearts Greatest Hits vol.1"

Tracy -30 something white chick
This was a toughie,since I haven't worked with her long enough yet to know her likes or dislikes, or interests (other than the Bengals) She mentioned her dog ate a scented candle once, and since she is new,she is taking lots of crop notes about when to fertlize,spray,etc. So for my new co-worker.....four scented candles and a weekly planner.

Paul- 70 something once a week volunteer
Paul is a sweet,dedicated volunteer. Every Wednesday for the past 9 years he has driven across town to help us out. He takes care of his wife,who is sometimes bedridden, and his son who has Down's Syndrom. He sits on the board of a local Catholic Cemetary, and he still works as an accountant. We all go out to lunch for birthdays, and he pays not just for the birthday person's meal, but everyone else's as well. Every week he brings us snacks and every year he gets us a gift for Christmas. Paul's near vision is not great and he has a tendency to nick himself when he is pruning plants. He also has a tendency to get cold,even though it's 70 in the greenhouse. So for Paul I got a lightweight sweater and a box of band-aids.

So now I need only one more gift for the old man and I can wrap up Christmas 06.

2 Comments:

  • Fraidy!!!! you a-hole.

    I don't cry often~~ Honest I really don't~~ but you just made me . What a beautiful, caring, thoughtful person you are.

    Don't you EVER be embarassed by what you give a person~~ because my dear friend you are one of the blessed few who really gives from the heart. What an honour I have to know you through the community and your blog.

    I'm not just being all sappy~~ you ARE a delight.

    thanks for letting me share in your gift giving. :)

    By Blogger Kelly, at 11:54 AM  

  • Without the brief discription of your co-workers, the meaning behind the gifts you chose would have been lost. I think you did a fantastic job with your choices. You gave thought and I agree with Kelly that you truely do give from the heart. That's what the Christmas Spirit is all about. You truely are a very kind person and I'm glad to call you friend!!

    Have a very Merry Christmas!!

    I'll be in Canton next weekend for 4 days....IT BETTER NOT SNOW....lol

    By Blogger Just Jan, at 3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home