fraidy's haven

Saturday, October 07, 2006

one thing leads to another

If cleanliness is next to Godliness, I must live with the devil.....
I am not the world's greatest housekeeper.I feel there are better things to do with my time than chase dust bunnies and support P&G by buying cleaning products every week. Vacuum cleaner bags last 2 or more months in this house, even with two dogs and a cat; and a can of Pledge is a year's supply for me.But every once in a rare while (usually during a severe bout of PMS) I get the urge to clean. Hubby went camping and I've been on vacation all week with nothing to do,so yesterday it started. The white tornado landed.

First I assessed the filth,making a cleaning plan. Useless stuff I've had in boxes all year to Goodwill,stop at Lowe's and get furnace filters,then Walmart for a mop,general purpose cleaner and some destinkifying supplies. Then, come home,change filter,start laundry,sweep and clean bathroom,bedrooms and upstairs hallway.Move down to living room and kitchen. Take chainsaw,coolers and other outside stuff to garage,store halo making supplies in basement. Vacuum and dust living room. Move to kitchen. Do dishes,wipe down appliances sweep and mop.
Should take me last night and part of this morning.

After Hubby left for camping, I loaded the boxes in my car and set out on my task. My first urge was to go to the riverboat,sit my ass in front of a slot machine and blow 40 bucks, but I came to the realization that even though that sounded great, I used to have a gambling problem and there were much better things to spend my time doing and my money on-like a new mop.
So I headed to Goodwill and dropped off the junk...er I mean gently used items. Then to Lowe's and got furnace filters and browsed the paint colors dreaming of the time when I would have enough ambition to actually buy and use some paint.
Then to Wally world and the cleaning supplies ....mop,simple green,bucket,rags- yeehaw shopping sure can be fun.Then I proceeded to meander the domestics aisles,daydreaming of color coordinated bath towels in my freshly painted bathroom,and actual curtains hanging from my bedroom windows instead of the dark green sheets that have been doing the job for 10 years. Ah well, time to check out and head home: but first a dinner stop at Cracker Barrel to reward myself for being good and not going to the riverboat. After a heavy dinner of chicken fried chicken and biscuits, I waddled to my car and started toward my destiny for the weekend.
I lugged in my supplies and plopped down into the recliner to let dinner settle awhile.

With my new bucket and supplies I headed upstairs with the best intentions of having the bathroom clean in an hour or less,including scrubbing the walls. I swept up the cat hair,human hair and wayward kitty litter,sprayed down the shower and sink with kaboom and set to work on the walls with a bucket of simple green and the sponge. About half an hour later I had a sparkling bathroom that needs painting, but at least didn't earn AAA's award for the country's nastiest bathroom. That's when the trouble started.....

I had washed the walls in the john,then moved onto the door that's supposed to be white. So I gave it a scrub down. Now all the other doors in the tiny upstairs hallway looked like crap. They got the simple green treatment too, but then the baseboards looked dingy.What had I started? See, this is why I don't clean often. First it's a simple bathroom spiff up and the next thing I know, I'm down on my knees wiping down the friggin baseboards...

So the upstairs hallway and bath all shining, I move down the steps. (Wiping up dog hair from each carpeted step as I go) On to the living room. Hey it's only 8:30....I could dust and vacuum the living room and go to karaoke tonight....nah, I'll sing Saturday, after I finish my housework.
I sit down for a smoke break. Smoking is another reason this house is filthy,and I guiltily realize that as I stare at the yellowed brick of the fireplace-which is supposed to be off-white." Wonder what that Simple Green will do to that nasty brick?" I ponder as I snub my smoke. I grab the spray bottle and rags and set to work. By 1:30 in the morning, the fireplace looks like it did when we moved in and I'm too damn tired to do anything but lay on the couch. I drift off to sleep looking at the filthy front door and sigh.....I'll do it tomorrow.

1 Comments:

  • That reminds me of the line from "Aliens" when Ripley found the little girl in hiding and wiped off her face and said..."now I've done it...there's a clean spot...have to do the whole thing now". I'm not a huge fan of house cleaning either. Good thing Bob isn't too messy of a guy...LOL....and it helps that this apartment is so small and we don't have any pets or smoke residue.

    (wondering now if you got to that front door or not).

    Good job by the way on not going to the riverboat!!!!!

    By Blogger Just Jan, at 1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home