fraidy's haven

Friday, May 26, 2006

not what i had in mind

Most of the time at work, I think about what I'm going to do when I get home. Yesterday was no exception.
It was a hot day in the greenhouses, and we had been expecting a shipment of plants for two days. They finally arrived a half hour before it was time to clock out. So I was all sweaty and stinky and really looking forward to a cool shower followed by a brief nap. Afterwards, I would cook the fajitas I had been marinating for two days, eat, and then finish up my weekly quota of halos.
Yeah, well it didn't go like that at all........
Upon pulling down my road, I spied Alan's car in the driveway ,damn! Hubby took one look at my tired, dirty face and decided that it was best if he and Al got out of the house for a bit, so they took off to the pub.
Alone at last, I cranked the A/C and poured a glass of iced tea and sat down to watch the news. It wasn't 5 minutes before the water department was at my door telling me that the contractor down the street had hit a water pipe and I would have to be sans H2O for about three hours. Double damn! There went the shower. And the toilet.
Thank God I have a bar at the end of the road. After an hour I had to "make water" so I toodled down the road to join my spouse at the bar.While in the restroom, one of the regulars bought a round for everyone, so I thought what the hell, might as well have a beer, I'm off Friday anyway.
Well, those regulars are a generous lot and 2 more rounds were purchased...doubl,double damn!
Now I don't feel like making fajitas, or eating, or making halos. I didn't have any water anyway. Might as well stay where I was.
Around 7:30, a particularly nasty storm rolled through town and pffffffffft there went the electric. Goddammit! I had five dollars in that jukebox playing some kickass music everyone liked, and now the place sounded like a funeral. But the beer was still cold, and there was a few hours of daylight left, so most folks stayed. The bartender manually jimmied the register and the owner called to say power outage pricing was in effect. Which is the same as happy hour prices.
The sun started going down, but that didn't stop this crowd. Out came the flashlights and the pool games continued. Someone said they need music, so I broke into Bobby McGee a cappela.
I sang every song I knew the words to, then shut up. In dark hour number two, the flashlights started dying, and folks were getting bored, so Hubby walked back to our house to get the camping lantern, qwhile I drove to work (which had electric still) and got my crank up radio.
We now had music and pretty good light. Wouldn't you know it those damn pool players hung the lantern over the table, then complained about the shadows. I asked them if they liked a half-dead flashlight better, and they shut up.
Six hours after my best laid plans, Hubby and I walked home to our dark house and went to bed. Nope, not what I had in mind when I left work, but it was fun anyway.

4 Comments:

  • I think that sounds way better than just sitting around the house. Sounds like fun to me. sometimes storms can be a good thing..lol

    By Blogger Just Jan, at 12:56 PM  

  • Glad you weren't "Busted flat in Baton Rouge, waiting for train. feeling near as faded as your jeans..."

    Fun post...sounds like a fun time as well. Came to you via Klassy Kelly.

    Ciao for now...

    By Blogger Sideways Chica, at 6:30 PM  

  • Something tells me Fraidy, that you'd have fun at a funeral! ;) I like that spirit~~ Always make the best out of what ya got. :)

    By Blogger Kelly, at 7:42 PM  

  • Jan- I used to be scared to death of storms until my mid-30's. Then we bought the house and it needs so much remodeling, I hope for a kickk-ass storm to,not totally destroy it, just the back half where the kitchen and bath are.

    Teri-Thanks for stopping by. I usually don't get stage fright, but if I hadn't had a few beforehand, I could have never sang in front of people I know a capella

    Kelly- the Irish in me hates going to funerals, give me a good ole lively wake any day. (Well actually wait until someone dies first)

    By Blogger fraidy, at 5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home