fraidy's haven

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Roxanne cont'd

I have discovered 3 things about rescuing dogs from shelters

1) The sadder the eyes, the more likely they are to find a home
2) The sweeter the pup at the shelter, the more of a hellion they'll be when they get home
3) The low price of a shelter dog is offset by the price of replacing what said beast chews up.

Once Roxie felt secure enough about her ability to win us over with cute looks, she started getting into everything. Among the victims of her chewing exploits were the cable tv wire, my husband's battery -operated heated hunting gloves, and just one disk (but not both) of a brand new Sony Playstation game. And that was just in the living room.

Not soon after she I arrived, I had to purchase besides the usual collar and other puppy paraphenalia, a covered laundry hamper. This was to ensure that my socks would have toes when I put them on, and also that I didn't own crotchless panties not bought at Frederick's of Hollywood.

Roxie not only gave herself her own name, she also gave me the name I use on the internet. I bought my computer around the beginning of July one year, and soon discovered the wide world of chatrooms. Well, I had to have a nickname, but I just couldn't think of anything that wasn't already assigned to someone. (I hate when I think I have found a name I believe noone on Earth would think of and then, click, "sorry that nickname is taken" pops up.)
Being that it was the day before Independence Day, alot of folks in the hood were shooting off fireworks. At the moment I was down to my last idea for a nickname Roxie jumped in my lap, knocking my iced tea all over my keyboard. I told her what a fraidycat she was, then thought to myself, no she's a fraidydog.....and so here I am.

Next
The last of the 4 legged family members......Rosie

2 Comments:

  • You know when you were at the shelter picking out Roxie saying "Awwwwwwww honey, look at those eyes"~~Roxie was saying "Awwwwwwwwwww SUCKER!!"
    I love the way you tell a story! Glad you didn't go to Karaoke tonight;)

    By Blogger Kelly, at 8:26 PM  

  • LOL....crotchless panties not bought at Fredricks of Hollywod....LOL Thank God my dog doesn't chew my clothes, but we did own a dog breifly that did that. Cerebus instead will sneak something of mine clean from a laundry basket to sleep with while I'm at work like a security blanket...lol Silly mutt...I just love pets and you have a great way of telling stories about yours.

    By Blogger Just Jan, at 10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home