fraidy's haven

Friday, April 28, 2006

my little dog/cat


Now that we have met my neighbors. I thought it was time to meet my family. I'll start with the smallest first.. This is Dowser our cat that thinks she's a dog most of the time. I remember very well the day we got her. It was on a rainy day in October of 2000. Hubby and I were bored so we loaded up Mouse and Roxie into the Dodge Shadow and headed to the flea market. I forget what we were actually looking for, if anything. I t was getting near closing time, and we were hurrying along the aisles while the dogs waited patiently in the car. Hubby spotted a lady with a litter of kittens and jokingly offered her a quarter for one. She accepted the price, but hubby gave her a five anyway and told her to keep the change. I was not in the least bit happy about acquiring a new pet, especially since I am the one who usually winds up feeding them, taking them to the vet and cleaning up after them. Hubby swore up and down that kitty wouldn't be a burden as she could live outside with access to the garage and he would see to it she got fed. I relented, but was admandant that she get spayed. Oh no, Hubby wanted kitty to be able to bring fresh blood to the neighborhood gene pool. Knowing that someday when he was camping, I would sneak miss Kitty off to get her uterus ripped out, I let him keep her. He perched the little kitten on his shoulder and we continued our stroll through the flea market.
As we were approaching the concession stand, someone opened a door and the kitten, sensing her one last chance at freedom, bolted out into the rain, with hubby in hot pursuit. As I watched her dash under a storage shed, while Hubby kneeled in the mud trying to coax her out, I thought maybe it was for the best if he didn't get her back. There were lots of cats living around the place and they were well fed and happy-this one could be too. But as my luck would have it, he wrested her from her hiding place, soaking wet and wild-eyed (the cat,not Hubby) and tucked into his shirt.
"So what's her name?" I inquired. He told me he wanted to name her after that monster in Ghostbusters- "Gozer?" said I- "No." he argued back "It's name was Dowser." Not wanting another cat-related spat, I just kept my mouth shut and let him think he was right.
The ride home was fun-not. We had 2 dogs in a little Dodge Shadow jumping around the back seat, it was starting to rain harder and we were a 45 minute trip on the highway from home. (The only thing I dislike more than driving on the highway, is driving on the highway in bad weather)Now add a loose kitten to the mix and you can see what an adventure it was. We all made it home safely- save my frayed nerves and welcomed Dowser into the household.

more on Dowser tomorrow.....

2 Comments:

  • Cute story...I can almost see your hubby in the rain and mucky mud trying to get a kitten out from under a shed...what a visual!! LOL

    Atleast you don't have a 64pound pitbull that thinks he's a cat!! (yep, he even purrs....goofy mutt)

    By Blogger Just Jan, at 7:11 AM  

  • Sheesh Jan- don't think I could handle cleaning Cereb's litterbox :)

    PBG- I agree wet dogs are the worst, no wait wet dog's that have rolled in dead snake are the worst.
    Thanks for stopping by :)

    By Blogger fraidy, at 6:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home