fraidy's haven

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A man's garage is his castle....

I wonder if I'm strange, because sometimes when I drive past houses with cars in the driveway and a multi-car garage, I often think "What do they have in their garage?" Our 2 car number stores a dead 1984 VW Rabbit Diesel pickup crammed full of fishing and camping gear that rests on dry rotted tires. Also a varied assortment of auction, yard sale,garbage raiding and inherited junk. Oh and the bike I bought myself for my birthday 5 years ago that has only been ridden 3 times, the old broken hot tub cover (I spent 200 bucks for a new cover and the the tub of course died soon after, but I still keep the new one on the dead thing) and our lawnmower.
I know for sure Hank's garage has a table saw, since I've seen him drag it out into the driveway every so often after he wakes me up with the damn thing. But what other mysteries lie within that space I haven't a clue. It must be crammed full, because a few years ago the Hills bought a lovely barn-looking shed. Which promptly got painted battleship gray with blue trim(but only one color of shingle) and a week later sported a tacky weathervane on top. Who puts a weather vane on top of a six foot tall shed in the city???? <----rhetorical question.

Rebel without a clue.....
Last summer, one of Hank's older girls must have turned 18. How do I know? Hank went out and bought himself a black Honda Shadow motorcycle. This means one of 2 things....either he makes a lot of overtime guarding roller rinks and bingoes off duty, or he got done with some child support. Since the boy is all I see over there anymore, I'm guessing the latter.
Now Hank didn't want his new baby to live outside, so something had to move out of the garage. (I opted for the table saw- but he had other ideas) Out went the lawnmower...

Hank and H.W. are positively anal about the seasonal cycles, the pool opens on Memorial Day and closes on Labor Day- doesn't matter if it's still 90 degrees in September, on goes the cover.
When grass-cutting time came to the hood, I started to worry about them. All the neighbors on the street had mowed their grass already.(Including that weird family with 2 dead cars in the driveway and a house with no gutters) Even I had mowed what passes for our lawn twice, but the Hill's grass was starting to look like a hayfield.
While going upstairs one evening, I looked out my window and saw that Hank's mower was left out in the rain. I called to hubby to come have a look-see, and we chuckled to each other. We knew that he would never get that mower running now. I half-jokingly said "Maybe he wants an excuse to buy a new mower." The very next day H.W. came out and supervised as Hank tried in mock desperation to start the thing. No luck. Off to Home Depot to get a new one!!! Sure enough a couple hours later Hank's out there cuttin the grass with the newest, top of the line mower he could find. But the most amusing (and sad) thing was what happened after....
Bobby- Hank's boy usually cuts the grass, but I guess with it being a new mower and all, Hank wanted to play with his new toy first. However when he was finished, he graciously allowed the boy to wash it off and then.....wax it. Patience, grasshopper one day you will get to walk behind this fine machine.
Hubby and I could always use a backup mower, and we're sure all his old one needs is a new spark plug, an air filter and a shot of starter fluid to get it running. We'll sneak over there on garbage night to get it (after 5:00 p.m. of course)

Epiloque
And so kind reader, I have taken you along on the journey of my neighbor's foibles up until last weekend. That is all I have to write for now. But do return, we have no plans to move soon and summer is just beginning..........

2 Comments:

  • You have no idea how much I needed that story Mary. You made me laugh so hard and today has been a real pisser. I'm sitting here hanging around the computer and the Phone waiting on a call from the hospital to see if Andrew has turned the corner yet.
    I kid you not little miss~~ you really have a talent for writing. Thanks a bunch for making me giggle. "You's da bomb" as Andrew would say. ;)

    By Blogger Kelly, at 8:49 PM  

  • Kelly- glad I could bring some laughter to you today. Sounds like you had a rough one kiddo. :)Hope Andrew comes out of chemo okay.

    By Blogger fraidy, at 9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home