fraidy's haven

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

How many prayers?

Yesterday was a bad day for me.
After finally tracking down Alan and thinking he was doing alright, his mom called to say he was back in the hospital. I haven't found out why yet, but hope to today. I also found out a lady I used to work with for many years has pancreatic cancer that has spread to her liver. She is about 20 years older than me and I admired her not only for how she kept up with us young folk physically, but her upbeat nature in general.

The irony is not lost to me. This town has 6 hospitals in a 2 mile radius (we call it pill hill around here). In the same building, one of my friends is trying to purposely pickle his liver and kill himself, while another woman is fighting desperately to stay alive.
I started praying for them both, when I realized just how many things I ask God for. I am not a church going, amen hallelujah type- as a matter of fact I find all organized religions to be a bit self-serving. I believe Christ walked this Earth and was probably a very kind hearted and philosophical man. But -and I may get smoted for this- I am cynical when it comes to him being the Son of God in the flesh, the Messiah. Still, I believe there is a greater power than us. Things just intertwine too much on this planet for there not to be. Every thing on Earth has a purpose, be they good or bad. I have also prayed for mini miracles (mostly in the financial way) in the past and had unexpected things happen. So I believe in the power of prayer, however it works.
Some things science isn't meant to figure out. I started making a mental list of these prayers-none of which involve my needing money, but things I have found that are more important to me.........
I pray .....
-That my friend Alan finds somewhere in himself, a strong enough reason to live, that he quits trying to drink himself to death.
-That my former co-worker and a little boy down south, can beat the cancers that are ravaging their bodies. One through traditional medicine, the other through new age ways.
-That an internet buddy's heart is lifted after the death of his beloved pet.
-That another friend can finally be together with the man that loves her, and it all works out.
-That a kind-hearted woman can find someone to have fun with, that doesn't want a lifelong commitment. And also that her special project comes to fruition.
- That my husband can quit being so suspicious of people's ulterior motives, quit remembering all the wrongs that happened to him in the past and just be positive for a change.
- That my sis-in-law can find a new and better job before she loses the one she has.
I know God will listen to my prayers, I don't know how they will be answered, but I do know it will be in a way that is best in His eyes.

2 Comments:

  • Sometimes,Mary, we need to remember to add one more prayer.

    Lord,lighten my heart from these many burdens and bring me peace with your decisions, so that I can be clear of mind enough to smile. The greatest healing gift for my friends and family.

    I pray this every evening.
    Hugs.

    By Blogger Kelly, at 8:42 AM  

  • You truely are a child of God and I'm most positive you make him smile down upon you. Your prayers are not selfish prayers yet for those you care about and for some you don't even know. I'll second that prayer Kelly added on here. I'll even add that to my own.

    ((((HUGS)))))
    Jan

    By Blogger Just Jan, at 4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home