fraidy's haven

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Dowser cont'd

It's not that I dislike cats- I'm just more of a dog person. I grew up in a farm-like environment and the dogs were allowed in the house, my shetland pony was snuck in a couple of times by my brothers,but cats were relegated to the barn because of my dad's allergies. So cats to me were just 4-legged mice catchers. That all changed when Dowser crossed our threshold.

Our older dog, Mouse, took on the role of kitty mom. Cleaning and discipline were her duties. Roxie played the role of littermate and her job was to play with kitty. I was amazed at the patience displayed by my girls when Dowser would stick her claws into their muzzle and juast hang off of it as they tried to walk. Neither of the dogs ever gave the cat more than a corrective nip. This helped to shape Dowser into a mix of cat and dog personality.

When hubby got his kitty, he agreed she would stay in the garage, except when it was too hot or too cold, and I promised (with crossed fingers) not have her spayed. Both promises lasted less then 2 months. Dowser is a little cat and was an even littler kitten, there was no way I could throw her into the world with all of the big toms that roam the hood, so she is in inside cat. About 2 days into her first heat cycle, hubby was climbing the walls with all of the yeowling from her and the neighborhood cats, that he begged me to take her to the vet and have her fixed.

Her litterbox started out in hubby's room, but was soon put in the bathroom, where it became my responsibilty to keep clean. The dogs must have sensed Mom didn't like this chore and set out to change things. They would herd Dowser outside when they went out, and somehow they managed to housebreak that cat. Now, I purchase one box of litter a year and the only time kit uses it is when it is raining hard, or the snow is too deep. She much prefers to go outside like her buddies. Amen.
The down side to being raised by dogs, is little Dowser is absolutely fearless around other animals, no Tomcat is ever gonna whomp her azz. Same goes for the dogs in the hood. She willwhack my neighbor's Rottie on the nose through the fence, then run next to Roxie or Rosie's side and sit there all smug looking at him. My cat has a posse, ain't noone gonna whomp her.

2 Comments:

  • LOL...great story about Dowser!! I had a cat once..Named "Kitty"...nothing to orignal I know..lol....but this cat got lost outside in Florida for 3 months(was always an indoor cat)...he came back and was a one tough kitty!! Mt ex-mom in law swore he went through boot camp! Nothing scared him ever again. He sure stood his own up to dogs. I can picture Dowser swatting at the Rott then looking smug...lol. You gotta love a cat's personality at times.
    Hope you keep writing as I have truely enjoyed reading.

    By Blogger Just Jan, at 8:20 AM  

  • LOL~~ I loved it!!! You should quit your day job ;)

    By Blogger Kelly, at 8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home