fraidy's haven

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Roxanne


This is Roxanne aliases are Roxie, Rock, Rock- a- Roni, Pooker, Doodles, Fat Butt and Rolls. She is one of the sweetest, most loyal, smartest and laziest dogs I have ever had.
After we had to have Big Dog put to sleep for medical reasons, we waited a few months before deciding whether to become a 2 dog family again. Our other dog at the time, Mouse made the decision for us. Mouse became very depressed after we lost Big and Hubby and I started to worry about her. She clearly wasn't happy being an only dog, so off to the pound we went.
We tried our local shelter first, but this being the city the only dogs available were either small yappy dogs, or pitbull mixes. Not that we have anything against either of those types of dogs, we just prefer laid back easy-going mutts. So we went out to the country shelter.
I hate going to shelters, it breaks my heart that I can't adopt every pup I see. But I knew we could save at least one life. We went into the puppy room and took a look at the available dogs.
Hubby pulled a light brown and white pup ( I think it was part beagle) out of it's cage and started holding it. Well, trying to hold it. She was squirming and licking and generally going puppy-nuts. I wasn't too keen on training a wild-child, but we brought Mouse into the shelter for her opinion. She took a polite sniff of the little girl, and the pup nipped her back. Mouse went over to the corner of the room and layed down. We headed back to the puppy room.
As we were putting wild thing back in her cage, I took a glance in the cage next to her. There curled up was a bundle of black fur with the most soulful golden eyes a dog could have. Those eyes were like my Big Dog's eyes and instantly I fell in love. We took her out and she hugged our necks. No jumping, wriggling or nipping from this girl- just a sweet kiss on the cheek and a contented sigh at being held. Hubby was hesitant, he thought she might be sick or something, so I asked Mouse again for her opinion. Mouse sniffed the pup, licked her face and the pup responded in kind. Then Mouse went to lay down in the corner and the pup followed her and curled up next to her.
We adopted her, but decided we would name her when we found a name that suited her personality.
Since we were out in the country anyway, we decided to stop at a creek we knew and catch some helgemites (sp?). They make fantastic fish bait, and this was one place where we always had luck. Hubby, Mouse, the new pup and I went to the park and headed for the creek. The pup was in hog heaven. She jumped into the creek and swam in circles over and over.(Mouse was just a wader type dog- only up to her belly thank you very much) While Hubby and I were turning over rocks looking for bait, the pup would start playing with the rocks we had just turned over.
We didn't get any helgemites that day, but we did get a new family member who quickly named herself. And the name she chose was Roxie.

Next....What happened to that laid back puppy we adopted????

5 Comments:

  • *Helgramite<~~~ help I can't stop myself;)

    I love pound puppies:) You are such a kind soul and a good dog mommy! What kind of mix is she? I can't tell her size from the pic but perhaps some hound and almost looks like burmese mountain in there from the coloration. Beautiful dog! And those eyes!!:)

    By Blogger Kelly, at 7:03 PM  

  • we always tell people she's a hound mix--half Belgian and half Fardin hound....say it slowly and you'll get it ;) actually I think she has bluetick coonhound in her. she weighs about 80 pounds (the lard butt) and is about 30" at the shoulders.

    By Blogger fraidy, at 7:25 AM  

  • Wow,She's bigger than the pictures make her look.

    LOL love what you tell people she is. I've had some of those breeds myself ;)~~ Oops never mind~~ that was the ex husband. ;)

    By Blogger Kelly, at 9:08 AM  

  • What the hell is a Helgramite????

    I would not have guessed Roxie to be so big. She's a cutie and sounds like alot of fun.

    By Blogger Just Jan, at 8:22 AM  

  • LOl Jan, it's larva used as fish bait. And me trying to be a smart- arse~~ lol I spelled it wrong too. ;)
    It's hellgramite ~ or hellgamite

    By Blogger Kelly, at 11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home