fraidy's haven

Friday, May 12, 2006

i can hear clearly now the pain is gone...

"So why did you choose ear,nose throat?" I asked the doctor. "Well, it beats a couple of other body orifices," he replied. And with that the 15 minute session began.
Peek, peer
squirt,suck
peer some more.
"That should do it. pick up some drops at the pharmacy downstairs. You have a mild ear infection."
All done in a quarter hour.
I went to the nurse's station to get my paperwork and headed for the elevators.
387 dollar!?! Is that right? 167 bucks to talk for 5 minutes,117 to suck out my ear for 1 minute and 24 to stick an instrument in my ear to make sure he hadn't sucked my eardrum out.....
Now I know why he chose ear,nose throat........1200 bucks an hour! Yes I know med school and licensing are expensive,but this guy looked mature enough to have paid those bills years ago. Sure there's malpractice insurance but doing the math...let's say 3 patients an hour at 400 a patient x 7 hours a day ,thats 8400 bucks a day, x 5 days a week = 42,000 a week x 4 weeks = 168,000 a month. I know medical overhead is high, but this is an HMO where receptionists and building costs are shared by many,many doctors. So how much does this ear doc make a month?
This was a simple ear-douche- no tubes, nothing complicated, easy money. No wonder they tell you not to try to remove wax buildup yourself,best come in to have it done.
Next time, I'm using a turkey baster and the shop-vac.

4 Comments:

  • LOL You crack me up! I'm telling you, you should be an accountant who writes humorous stories on the side. ;) Sure hope your earache is better. Oh, and Happy MOMPUPDAY to you for Sunday . ;)

    By Blogger Kelly, at 7:22 PM  

  • thanks Kelly - forgot to add the ten bucks for the ear drops that came in a container the size of a pail that a fairy would use to milk a ladybug....that would be real small.

    By Blogger fraidy, at 6:25 AM  

  • LOL...I could never tell of my doctor appointments in this manner. I feel your pain in both the ear and the wallet I'm sure!!

    But this did make for great reading this morning..lol

    By Blogger Just Jan, at 10:40 AM  

  • thanks mystic. sorry, i'm kinda technologically unadvanced, thought it auto linked. glad you found me though.

    By Blogger fraidy, at 5:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home