fraidy's haven

Saturday, January 06, 2007

1607

Yeesh what a week.....I tried to have my mind set on positive when I headed off to work after the 3 day weekend. I would do my best to work with my new stupidvisor,and just do my 9 1/2 that I have left. But damn if she didn't stir the shit first thing Tuesday morning. I had just clocked in and was doing my morning assesment of the greenhouses when the phone rang. It was Her. Ugh....the head of Ops wants to put a display in the local home and garden show in six weekes and She wants me to find enough plant material to cover 700 square feet. That not might sound like much, but when its early winter and you only have six weeks, thats a freakin miracle to pull off. Local growers have just cleared out their holiday crops and are seeding for spring bedding plants, so they have nothing on their benches. The nursery usually orders little seedlings from specialty growers across the country for our crops,and the minimum lead time for an order with any of them is 10 weeks....they have availability lists of what they have on their benches after filling custom orders, but they won't ship to Ohio until Feb 1. All this has made for one of the most stressful weeks I have had in my 20 years with the city.
Not only do I face the problem with where the hell I'm going to get the plants, but also where I'm going to put them if I do manage to find something. We have 2 shows worth of crops in the houses and another show due in before the time the stuff for this Home and Garden thing would be out. Add to that the bench space needed for our outside park stuff that starts arriving the first of February ....it makes for no extra room. I have to plan where crops are going to go at least 3 months ahead of time, and now the new management expects me to find space that doesn't exist. Good God. Congrats guys...in only 4 days you have managed to make me consider a transfer for the first time in my career.
Anyhoo, by the end of the week things had calmed down a bit in Fraidyland. I basically hit the ping pong ball back to stupidvisors side of the table and she is now scrounging for the plants...heh-heh she never knew what hit her..I always could think 2 steps ahead of her. She thinks she's in control,but in the end..she is doing what I didn't want to do.She even offered to send extra of "her staff"(I bristle every time she uses that phrase-see previous blog post as to why) to help pot feed and spray the plants when needed. Therefore, I can go about doing what I planned for the month all along,working on the outside annual bedding plants.
Maybe this arrangement will work after all...hell it might even be a fun challenge to see how many times I can out think her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home