fraidy's haven

Saturday, April 08, 2006

walk a mile in my rubber boots

Well,yesterday it stopped raining in the morning long enough to get the yard cleaned up and mowed, and then it got to 80 degrees.
being the sweetheart that I am I called the girl who was working for me (she usually works at the Conservatory) to tell her I was bringing Rock an Ro up for a run. She said don't be upset because everything hasn't been watered yet. Now I need to ramble a bit here.....
The Conservatory has always been called the "Crown Jewel" of the Parks by our director, and while working there does have it's major drawback (mainly dealing with the public, which I am not fond of) it is really one of the easiest places to work as a florist. From 8-10 in the morning, you set up a soaker hose to water the rainforest stuff, use a high pressure nozzle to knock down the dead leaves the roll up the hoses and sweep up. They open at 10, so everything has to be done by then. The rest of the day should be spent (not always) doing fine pruning (a tree company comes in for the big stuff) or planning future shows.....which obviuosly ain't happening because I have no order lists for fall, winter or any of 2007, and they're supposed to be to me a year in advance. Every six weeks is a three week show change, which used to be 10 days until they whined they couldn't work that fast.
They have 3 florists (instead of 2 like us) 4 part-time laborers (we have none at the moment) as well as volunteers (we have 2, one 70 year old-bless his heart-who comes in for 6 hours on Wednesday...and one guy who comes in for an hour 4 days a week everday to deal strictly with orhids).
So what I am saying is these folks are a bit diva-ish and not used to running around like chickens with no heads, like Jo and myself.
Yesterday was hot and sunny, and not all of the nursery greenhouses have been shaded, so I know it was a bear for my replacement. Anyhoo, I got to work and the poor girl is so stressed, I just had to help her out (either that or we would have had a crapload of withered plants today). I facetiously asked if the Conservatory had called for replacement plants this morning and she said "yes, and I had to get those packed and ready by myself. I don't see how you and Jo do all this when there's only one person here twice a week." I just replied, that now you know why we don't run for the phone everytime it rings, and why we get ticked when people call right back instead of leaving a message (of which she is guilty). She promised from now on she will leave a message and be more patient. She also complained her feet were sweating and hurt from wearing rubber boots all day. I looked down, and she had my boots on....I had to state the obvious "How does it feel to walk in my boots?"
So today (Saturday) I know Jo and I are appreciated a heck of alot more than we were Thursday, and that's all right by me.

2 Comments:

  • Feels good to be appreciated, doesn't it!! :)

    Some words of advice ( because I know one day you're going to ask me for some) :)

    It also feels good to appreciate~~ so don't always feel like you have to take up everyone's slack~~ let someone else get to be appreciated too. ;)
    Gosh, that doesn't sound the way I mean it~~ but I think you're a wise woman and can decipher what I'm saying.

    You are a good woman , Charlie Brown.

    By Blogger Kelly, at 8:54 AM  

  • What a great lesson to learn. does it work with Family members too? Thanks again for the email...you may never know the depth of a positive impact that had on me this morning.

    By Blogger Just Jan, at 12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home